Table of Contents
The Cimex lectularius insect species is a small ectoparasite that primarily feeds on human blood. These insects invade buildings, in hopes of finding new shelter with an endless food supply. Their small size complicates getting around, which is why they tend to stay in close proximity to their hosts. The common bed bug hiding places are mattresses, bed linen, box springs, and pillows, all of which offer quick and easy access to a sleeping host. The adult bed bug measures in at 3/16”, with an Appleseed-like shape.
Why Is My Home Infested With Bed Bugs?
The main reason why your home is infested with bed bugs is that they were invited. This does not mean you sent the bed bugs an open invitation to visit your home, no it just means a member of the household carried the insects into the home. Bed bugs are pest hitchhikers that do not discriminate. Bed bugs are picked up from infested college dorms, inns, motels, skilled nursing facilities, hospitals, and residential establishments. In most cases, the host is not even aware of the bed bug’s presence until it is too late. Bed bug infestations range from mild to severe, with the latter being the most serious. If you are a frequent traveler, a college student living in a dorm, or a skilled nursing home worker, you are at risk. In fact, you could be the next bed bug victim in Honolulu if some other unlikely soul beats you to it.
Are Bed Bugs Disease-Carrying Insects?
According to the available evidence, bed bugs do not carry diseases or parasites that spread to humans through a bite. Since these insects do not feed on human food, there is generally no need to be concerned about foodborne illnesses like salmonella. The bed bug utilizes its feeding tube to pierce the skin of its victim and draw out blood until completely full. The only potential risk is in the form of a tiny bite, which may cause a mild allergic reaction that does not require medical intervention.
How To Eradicate A Bed Bug Infestation?
As mentioned previously, bed bug infestations can be complex when a large volume of insects are determined to be involved. To eradicate a bed bug infestation, controlling the population is the best way to start. Bed bugs are social insects that live in colonies. What this basically means is where there is one or more bed bugs, there is a large colony in close proximity. Our bed bug pest control begins with a visual inspection and ends with a follow-up visual inspection of the impacted home. Treatment options include the following:
Standard Pest Control
- Efficiency on all levels – pesticides, insecticides, and traps
- Homeowner responsibilities – bed bug extermination does not work unless all parties are involved. Joint effort means an exterminator is preparing a customized treatment plan for the impacted home while the owner is removing and cleaning bed linen utilizing the maximum temperature mode.
- Chemical-based pest control – are the most effective conventional bed bugs treatment.
Bed Bug Heat Treatment
- Efficiency on all levels – utilizes hot steam generated by large steamers to eradicate bed bugs on contact. Steam targets adult bed bugs, larvae, and eggs.
- Homeowner responsibilities – a bed bug exterminator oversees treatment and visual inspection processes while the occupants focus on post-treatment cleaning.
- Non-chemical-based pest control – instead of chemicals, the process utilizes heat over 100 degrees Fahrenheit to eradicate bed bugs, larvae, and eggs on contact. Our heat treatment utilizes a natural substance known as ‘Diatomaceous’ to maximize the result.
Fumigation Bed Bug Control
- Efficiency on all levels – speedy results equals lower overall expenses
- Homeowner responsibilities – vacate the home prior to treatment, return several hours later to clean impacted areas
- Chemical-based pest control – utilizes a chemical called Vikane (sulfuryl fluoride)
Does DIY Pest Control Work For Bed Bug Infestations?
Possibly, but only in mild cases. Moderate to severe cases need a much more powerful approach. Pest infestation severity levels are based on the size of the impacted area and the number of insects involved. Bed bug infestations are extremely difficult to fully eradicate because of the insect’s nocturnal behavior and social insect status. Bed bugs generally travel in large groups that only feed at night when their hosts’ are sleeping. The effectiveness of DIY pest control is questionable when it comes to bed bug infestations of all sizes.
Is Bed Bug Pest Control Pesticides Harmful To The Environment?
Our pest control pesticides have been approved by the EPA for minor to severe bed bug infestations. When utilized per the manufacturer’s recommendations, EPA-approved pesticides do not pose a health risk to humans or animals. Our protocol requires all household members to vacate several hours prior to treatment. To further protect our customers and their families after each treatment, people with respiratory and autoimmune diseases are required to stay away from the home for up to 24 hours.
Is Bed Bug Pest Control Services Expensive?
Pest control services do not need to be expensive. In fact, our pest management is customized to minimize costs and rule out potential waste. Contact our office today to request a free bed bug pest control quote. Our customized bed bug control targets an effective treatment specific for the bed bug infested-home. By customizing pest control, we can rule out potential waste and unnecessary expenses for the client. If your budget is limited, do not fret, we are here to help. Together, we will create a strategy that is guaranteed to deliver speedy and effective results. It is possible for the homeowner to minimize or eliminate additional expenses like post-cleaning,
When Should I Expect The Exterminator To Arrive At My Home?
Once we receive your extermination service request, we will immediately begin processing it. We tell all of our clients that the earliest we can arrive at their homes is within 24 hours of the initial request. In some cases, we need to push the consultation and/or inspection back another 24 hours. An exterminator should arrive at your home before the 48-hour deadline expires.